North Dakota State College of Science has launched NDSCS Mobile, a suite of smartphone applications that gives students, staff, faculty and visitors the ability to tour the NDSCS campus, browse event calendars, get the latest news, view campus photos and more.
NDSCS developed the mobile app in partnership with Blackboard Mobile™, a division of Blackboard, Inc. Currently, NDSCS Mobile is available only for Apple® devices. An Android® version will be available in the Android Market in the very near future, followed by a version for Blackberry® users.
“We wanted to offer our students and members of our community the best in technology and access, and that means making NDSCS services and information available to mobile users,” said Dana Anderson, interactive media manager. “With NDSCS Mobile, users get on-demand access to campus information when and where they need it.”
Depending on the capabilities of the device and services available, NDSCS Mobile allows users to:
- Search for campus buildings by name and view the relative location on GPS-enabled devices.
- Take a virtual tour of campus from anywhere, with rich media describing campus landmarks.
- Browse the NDSCS calendar of events and add events directly to your personal calendar.
- Stream the latest NDSCS videos.
- See NDSCS’s top campus news.
- Browse images from NDSCS.
- Look up campus emergency phone numbers.
- Connect to the mobile version of the College’s learning management system.
Following the initial launch, NDSCS plans to make continual improvements to the app. A mid-year upgrade will include added apps and capabilities, such as a searchable directory and expanded interactive map features.
NDSCS Mobile can be downloaded for free from the Apple App Store and is compatible with the iPhone®, iPod touch® and iPad®.
For those who do not use a smart device, a mobile web version with much of the same information will soon be available at m.ndscs.edu. For more information on the app, visit www.ndscs.edu/mobile.